Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reflections on my car accident (part 2 of 3)

To be entirely honest, not a day goes by that I do not think about the car accident. Not all the time, just moments ~ like when I think about the house or the highway or sometimes during a quiet part of the day or when someone I have not seen in a while asks me directly about the accident. The accident changed our life in so many ways ~ mostly for the better, I think. I am a firm believer that "everything happens for a reason, though not always apparent at the time".

Although, I would never have asked to be in such a traumatic accident and if I had to do this year over again knowing what I know now... We would certainly make the choices we made after the accident in hopes of preventing it from ever have happening in the first place.

However, knowing Pete and I, I think we had to go through the accident and its aftermath in order to get to where we are now... our life is much simpler. More focused. We live with more intention and prioritize what we want to do, rather than trying to do everything that we feel we want to/need to do. That's not to say that we did not think about what we were doing last summer before I started school ~ because we did. We just chose to stay/keep life much the same for the wrong reasons.

There is much good that came out of the accident. Pete loves his new job. I was able to move out of our home in order to live near school (difficult to do when you become attached to a place). Hondo spends more time with me, and is able to on walks during the day. I was able to give myself an evening off during the week (Friday nights) ~ what a luxury ~ so nice to have a bit more time for myself or to spend with Pete. We got rid of all car payments. Pete became available to help me with household tasks (laundry/cooking/cleaning) during the week, and actually acquired enough free time to take up flying... something he has talked about doing for years.

So, all-in-all, the accident was not all bad but just served as a reminder of the fragility of life and that we are not always in control.

No comments: